Pink Sheet is part of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC’s registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use. For high-quality copies or electronic reprints for distribution to colleagues or customers, please call +44 (0) 20 3377 3183

Printed By

UsernamePublicRestriction
UsernamePublicRestriction

VASOTEC U.S. RETAIL SALES ANNUALIZING AT $62 MIL

Executive Summary

VASOTEC U.S. RETAIL SALES ANNUALIZING AT $62 MIL. (at pharmacy acquisition cost), according to Pharmaceutical Data Services' (PDS) most recent Alpha-Gram. PDS noted that the Merck ACE inhibitor generated sales of $5.2 mil. in September, compared with $4.4 mil. in August and $3.8 mil. in July. "Vasotec (enalapril) . . . has shown steady growth since its launch in January," the Alpha-Gram states. "Although Vasotec has done well, Squibb's competitive ACE inhibitor, Capoten (captopril), also continues to show growth, extending Capoten's upward five-year trend." Sales of Capoten are annualizing at approximately $183 mil., according to PDS data. Capoten generated sales of $15.3 mil. in September, $14.4 mil. in August and $13.6 mil. in July. "With continued growth of both products, the market has seen a significant expansion at the expense of some beta blockers and traditional antihypertensive products," PDS commented. "These market dynamics may be, in part, the result of Merck's positioning Vasotec against the older antihypertensive products rather than against Capoten specifically." In terms of total Rxs dispensed in September, Capoten holds 71% of the ACE inhibitor market with 696,000 Rxs, while Vasotec holds the remaining 29% with 282,000 Rxs. At a drug company seminar for the investment community sponsored by Morgan, Olmstead on Oct. 28, PDS VP-Sales/Marketing Michael Smith, PhD, noted that Merck's introduction of Vasotec has been the most successful new drug launch in 1986. "The winner so far this year is Merck's Vasotec, which in nine months [is] showing about $22 mil. in sales," Smith observed. "We would expect this drug to finish up doing about $35 mil. in its first full year on the market, "Smith predicted. "This is a major achievement because you are talking about new therapy being introduced in a chronic disease marketplace, which is not prone to switching." Smith said that Merck's ACE inhibitor "is doing 27% of the total market in terms of new Rxs, and 15% of the dollars." He estimated that Vasotec has taken new Rxs from Capoten that would have totaled about 37% of that drug's current monthly level of new Rxs. Among the other new product launches so far in 1986, sales of Key/Schering's second generation Nitro-Dur reached $15.7 mil. in its first nine months, while Wyeth's Orudis (ketoprofen) sales through its first nine months on the market were approximately $8.7 mil. Miles' (Adalat) nifedipine competitor to Pfizer's Procardia in the calcium channel blocker class, generated sales of $1.7 mil. in its first nine months on the market, according to PDS projections. McNeil's Suprol, which recently had a label change to second-line treatment, had sales of over $5.8 mil. in its first nine months of marketing.

You may also be interested in...



Part D Discount Liability Coming Into Focus: CMS Releases Drug Cost Data

Newly released Medicare Part D data sheds light on the sales hit that branded pharmaceutical manufacturers will face when the coverage gap discount program gets under way in 2011

FDA Skin Infections Guidance Spurs Debate On Endpoint Relevance

FDA appears headed for a showdown with clinicians and the pharmaceutical industry over the proposed new clinical trial endpoints for acute bacterial skin and skin structure infections, the guidance's approach for justifying a non-inferiority margin and proposed changes in the types of patients that should be enrolled in trials

Shire Hopes To Sow Future Deals With $50M Venture Fund

Specialty drug maker Shire has quietly begun scouting deals with a brand-new $50 million venture fund, the latest of several in-house investment arms to launch with their parent company's pipelines, not profits, as the measure of their worth

UsernamePublicRestriction

Register

LL111109

Ask The Analyst

Please Note: You can also Click below Link for Ask the Analyst
Ask The Analyst

Your question has been successfully sent to the email address below and we will get back as soon as possible. my@email.address.

All fields are required.

Please make sure all fields are completed.

Please make sure you have filled out all fields

Please make sure you have filled out all fields

Please enter a valid e-mail address

Please enter a valid Phone Number

Ask your question to our analysts

Cancel