Pink Sheet is part of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC’s registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use. For high-quality copies or electronic reprints for distribution to colleagues or customers, please call +44 (0) 20 3377 3183

Printed By

UsernamePublicRestriction
UsernamePublicRestriction

DRUGS AND MEDICAL SUNDRIES SPENDING IN U.S. REACHES $25.8 BIL

Executive Summary

DRUGS AND MEDICAL SUNDRIES SPENDING IN U.S. REACHES $25.8 BIL. in 1984, up 9%, according to figures from the Health Care Financing Administration's (HCFA) Office of the Actuary. Public funding represented 9% of total drug and medical sundries spending in 1984, or approximately $2.4 bil., while private funding from direct consumer spending and insurance companies accounted for 91% of total drug expenditures in 1984, or $23.5 bil., HCFA reported. Consumers spent approximately $19.7 bil. on drugs and medical sundries in 1984 and accounted for over 76% of all such expenditures in the U.S., the report indicates. Direct consumer spending represented 84%0 of all private funding for drugs and medical sundries with insurance companies accounting for the remaining 16%. However, while direct patient payments for drugs grew only 7%0 in 1984, insurance companies' $3.8 bil. expenditure for drugs and medical sundries represents an increase of approximately 20% over 1983, according to the HCFA figures. * Third party payments for drugs and medical sundries totalled $6.1 bil. last year, according to the report. Medicaid spending of approximately $2.1 bil. accounted for approximately one-third of third party payments for drug and medical sundries. Total U.S. health spending rose 9.1% in 1984 compared to 10.6% in 1983 and 15.3% in 1980. In a July 31 press release, HHS Secretary Heckler said overall spending last rose by a single digit percentage in 1965. Health expenditures totaled $387 bil. in 1984, according to the release. A decline in the use of hospital inpatient services was the most significant factor in the slowing rate of increase, according to the release. Total health spending for 1984 represented 10.6%0 of the gross national product, down from 10.7% in 1983. This is the first decrease in health spending as a percentage of the GNP since 1978, the department says. The new statistics are drawn from the fall issue of Health Care Financing Review, published by the Health Care Financing Administration. Information on the review may be obtained from the Division of National Cost Estimates, Office of the Actuary, Room LI,EQO5, 6325 Security Boulevard, Baltimore, Md. 21207.

You may also be interested in...



Part D Discount Liability Coming Into Focus: CMS Releases Drug Cost Data

Newly released Medicare Part D data sheds light on the sales hit that branded pharmaceutical manufacturers will face when the coverage gap discount program gets under way in 2011

FDA Skin Infections Guidance Spurs Debate On Endpoint Relevance

FDA appears headed for a showdown with clinicians and the pharmaceutical industry over the proposed new clinical trial endpoints for acute bacterial skin and skin structure infections, the guidance's approach for justifying a non-inferiority margin and proposed changes in the types of patients that should be enrolled in trials

Shire Hopes To Sow Future Deals With $50M Venture Fund

Specialty drug maker Shire has quietly begun scouting deals with a brand-new $50 million venture fund, the latest of several in-house investment arms to launch with their parent company's pipelines, not profits, as the measure of their worth

UsernamePublicRestriction

Register

PS142970

Ask The Analyst

Please Note: You can also Click below Link for Ask the Analyst
Ask The Analyst

Your question has been successfully sent to the email address below and we will get back as soon as possible. my@email.address.

All fields are required.

Please make sure all fields are completed.

Please make sure you have filled out all fields

Please make sure you have filled out all fields

Please enter a valid e-mail address

Please enter a valid Phone Number

Ask your question to our analysts

Cancel